I’m not the most domestically inclined person, but I can cook a few things, and sometimes I actually do. Every five to ten years, I mention this on Twitter and someone asks for the recipe of the thing I cooked. The thing is always in a crockpot. I’m ambitious around 1 PM. I am rarely ambitious after 5.
Tonight it is snowing here in the mountains, so I made Chicken Tortilla Soup for the very first time by taking the best bits from two recipes I found online.
So here is a recipe! Behold its wonder!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
(low carb depending on the toppings)
6 servings, I think
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless chicken (I used thighs)
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper diced
- 4-ounce can of chopped green chile peppers
- 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes (I used only half)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn (I substituted 1 small zucchini, cubed)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt (I added way more than this. Probably 2 tsp.)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 to 1 tsp cumin
Throw everything in the slow cooker! Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours. 15 minutes before it’s done, shred the chicken and adjust salt and spices. MOAR SPICE. Maybe squeeze in a little lime.
Serve with any or all of these toppings:
- tortilla strips (I wish)
- shredded cheese
- avocado slices
- hot sauce
- chopped cilantro
- fresh lime slice
- sour cream
Hope you like it! This will be soooooo good the next time I have a cold.